Forum for a new MMORPG just starting to be made.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Which mmo editor/engine should be used?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Zomok
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Which mmo editor/engine should be used?   Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:25 pm

So going though looking at whats out there I find some nice 3d engines (that come with editors to make the game) that could do what we need them to. the first one I found was Multiverse but after trying to try it out and careful view of pics I thought there might be something better. Then I found unity which looks very good though it seems more focused for general online games of varying genres and looks it has a nice 3D look and feel and seems easy enough to get started on. then I was looking at a site that had apparently stopped using multiverse and switched to something called HeroEngine which they said Star Wars: TWOR was using. I of course popped up their page and looked to find it was kinda what I was looking for a engine/editor aimed at MMOs (RPGs, RTSs, w/e) I also saw that other popular game companies used it (Bioware, EA, and Zenimax were the three listed). I of course wanted more and found that I loved it, it has a huge support system and would be awesome to use (their are other reasons (such as graphic quality and seemingly easy to use) so I will just put a link to one of their main pages). So why am I not just signing up for Heroengine (and HeroCloud that goes with it)? Well simply put there is a catch, now all of the things I have listed are free but HeroEngine has a 30% royalties fee for when the game starts to make a income. So you can understand my hesitation and that's not to mention my plans for this game which include making a game engine specifically for it and hosting our own servers. so I have looked a EULA (End-User License Agreement) and plan to look into it more to see if we might be able to take our game off of their servers and putting it on our own after paying say a year's worth of royalties or if their might be a longer term (the EULA I saw was talking of a 3-yr term (then auto 1-yr terms) but their is a possible early termination). So your thoughts?

The overview of Herocloud (which is the servers, the editor, and more it seems):
http://www.heroengine.com/herocloud/
The EULA I read (which talks of a company called Idea Fabrik which I think owns HeroEngine/HeroCloud) Note: it downloads and opens in a separate PDF window:
HeroCloud License Agreement October 2011.1.pdf
Back to top Go down
http://otherside.team-talk.net
Zomok
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Update   Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:22 am

Okay so I was looking at HeroEngine and in order to properly make our game we will need a program to make our models, terrain, buildings etc. and HeroEngine says you have to use either Maya or 3DS Max. Both are pretty good looking with their respective pros and cons but both have a big con for us at the moment and that is the fact they both cost money and its quite a big number $3,495 to be exact. So you can see we have hit a bit of a roadblock. Now I remember that the same programs can be used with Unity but I think other programs (possibly one free) can be used. unfortunitly that means our game, at least when it gets up and running, will not be top spec but I think that's the least of our worries. I will start to our business plan and our game's outline and a detailed document hopefully before we get in the thick of building it we can get a investor to take a chance with us so we can get the best tools (which look like HeroEngine and Maya (or possibly 3DS Max). I will keep looking and try to find the best solution but until then we will focus on getting ready to make the game instead of practicing as we get ready which was what I was planning and would make the building part a little easier. Smile
Back to top Go down
Zomok
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: My decision as of now   Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:07 am

Update: Okay so I have decided we will use Blender as our graphics editor and will use unity to start. Hopefully HeroEngine implements the FBX import that they say they are working on and we will then not have to find a way to get Maya or 3DS Max and if they don't we can import our files from Blender into Maya or Max. For now we will focus on our planning phase and work on getting into our the actually making using unity as our initial engine.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Which mmo editor/engine should be used?   

Back to top Go down

Which mmo editor/engine should be used?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Other Side :: General Topics :: Business-
Jump to: